Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Taking The Boys To Task

Everyone pissed me off yesterday, even Stat Boy! Why do I feel like the only person on earth at times who thinks Ashley Judd is a no-talent blow-hard whose brand of 'look at me' cheerleading for Kentucky ranges from 'self-serving' to 'sickeningly annoying'?

A perfectly encapsulated diatribe of 'Superfan' Ashley was to be found in Slate a couple of weeks ago:

"Ashley Judd, superfan. It's one thing for celebrities like Jack Nicholson and Spike Lee to flaunt their wealth courtside during a pro game. But watching the aging ingénue don pigtails to prove she can relate to the commoners of the commonwealth is just sad. First, she punishes us with dreck like Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Now, she pollutes UK telecasts because TV directors can't resist endless cutaways of Wynonna's sister. Yeah, yeah, she knows her basketball. She also dated Michael Bolton. Let's not go nuts glorifying her critical reasoning skills."

Well put, to be sure, but my dislike of younger Judd is not just limited to her 'let's cheer on the boys and serve them orange slices' chipperness on the sidelines. Have you ever seen her interviewed? I've never seen anyone so desperate to prove how intelligent she is. Overpronouncing every word as if annunciation equals smart. Inevitably as well, she'll sit on her legs or do something else during the interview to let everyone know how much she plays by her own rules.

So give it a rest Wilbon (and to a lesser extent TK and Statboy). There are infinitely more attractive women at sporting events for you to drool over and ones I'm sure that are 100 times less annoying than Ashley Judd.

4 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on. This is my least favorite part of watching sports on TV, the constant, "hey there's Jack Nicholson. . . and David Spade. . .Denzel Washington, etc." I DON'T CARE! Show me the game! That's why I'm watching! I don't care that Bill Murray jumped on the Illini bandwagon! Tell him to get off his butt and go make some funny movies! And tell Ashley Judd to do something, anything, just do it somewhere else.

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you're just bitter because you cannot correctly spell "ennunciation."

Oh wait, I hate Ashley Judd too for the same reasons. I'll give you a pass on this one.

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give him a pass?!

You misspelled it, too, there, Captain Grammar Pants.

Now that I think about it, maybe he meant "[a church festival in commemoration of the announcement of the Incarnation to the Virgin Mary] equals smart."

You know. It just kind of emphasizes the in-over-her-head-intellectually argument.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely-Bill Murray's got a much better ass too

 

Post a Comment

<< Home